Saturday, February 16, 2013

Snow, Snow Everywhere!

The first year I moved to Connecticut, within a week there was a blizzard. Having moved from Southeast Louisiana, snow is not something I have a lot of first hand experience with. After that winter, I'm pretty sure I developed some sort of post traumatic stress for the white fluffy stuff.

A week ago I experienced my first blizzard here in the creepy cape. I honestly didn't worry too much because, hey the house has been here forever! I made sure we had enough wood, I stocked up on the mandatory bread, eggs and milk (for that post blizzard french toast fix) and I figured we were all set. Around 5 pm the thought hit me "Hmm maybe I should make sure we have flash lights just in case..." about an hour later the power went off and did not come back on until Sunday.
 
Friday during the blizzard
 
Saturday, the day after.
 
 
There was no way to consistently measure the snow drifts. In some places it was 16 inches, in others it was 24. It all depended on which way the wind blew. Oh and apparently thunder and lightning is a thing during blizzards here. Good to know!
 
That car still hasn't moved....
 
So like I was saying, the power went off Friday during the early evening. I had blind faith that it wouldn't be off too long. Surely CL&P had crews prepared, right? RIGHT???!?
 
Apparently only so they could run into freshly plowed driveways...
 
So no, no they didn't. Instead things got real colonial around here pretty quickly.
Yes, this happened. Boiling water fail.
 
I tried my best to keep the kids entertained, keep the house warm, keep the dogs from eating everything etc etc etc. So the best laid plans of "oh I'll be snowed in so I'll use that time to clean!" turned into "Oh we are snowed in with no power, it's like extreme camping!" and I hate camping.
 
The kids in their cardboard entertainment center.
 
Overall I take from this experience that I take electricity for granted. Even the food in our refrigerator spoiled so I cant imagine if had stayed out any longer. Things would have turned savage!
 


 
 
Hope you guys are warmer!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment